Alexander H. Allen: 1800's Town Father
1800's. His family was well-established in the village center. He married Hannah B.
Wood in 1838, and they built their home at 20 Maple Street. His sister, Anna Warren
Allen, married Attorney Charles C.P. Hastings in 1838, and they lived diagonally
across the street at 7 Maple Street. Their house had been a wedding present.
Another sister, Louisa Allen, married postmaster/storekeeper Henry Aldrich in 1839,
and they lived at 15 Main Street. The youngest sister, Minerva Allen, married James
Cunnabell in 1849, and they lived on Maple Street. All were active participants in the
village community, but it was Alexander whose contributions to his town were
To be elected as a town official is an honor, and to be re-elected is an indication that a
commendable job had been done. Alexander's diligence in conducting town
business was acknowledged and rewarded by a grateful electorate many times over.
The public confidence entrusted in him took place between 1832 and 1879. He was
elected to the board of selectmen twenty-two times (one year terms), town clerk four
times, town treasurer four times, school committee five times, and assessor once.
His devotion to public service was most praiseworthy.
In 1879, after forty-seven years as a town official, it was necessary for Alexander to
step down due to health reasons. A town meeting vote on November 4 unanimously
passed a resolution to thank him for his many years of dedicated service. Attorney
Alexander Allen was a man of sterling character who used his legal background for
the betterment of his town. He was first elected at age twenty-four. It appears that at
that time the words of John Buchan could have applied to his noble outlook on
government, "Public life is regarded as the crown of a career, and to a young man, it is
the worthiest ambition. Politics is still the greatest and the most honorable
Three generations of the Phipps family resided at 20 Maple Street in the 1900's. Fred
Phipps is the current owner.
20 Maple Street