The Chapel and School of the Hopedale Community
the library. "By 1855 the Hopedale library, located in the combined school and chapel building, had
over six hundred volumes, excluding various public documents sent to it by Senator Charles Sumner
and other sympathetic congressmen. Open at least once a week, for lending purposes, the library
had its established rules, including fines for overdue books." Hopedale: Commune to Company
Town, Edward K. Spann, p. 87
The building was later used for a store and a residence. In the 1950s this structure, the two homes
behind it and the Chapel Street School were demolished. The only building left standing on the
block was the Dutcher Street School.
Now and Then at the Chapel-Freedom Street Block Hopedale Community Menu HOME
The paragraphs above are from Adin Ballou's History of Milford, p. 197.