Mendon's George Family: 1815 - 1943
manufacturing, and education. Family members lived at 28 Main Street in the beautiful, white federal
style home surrounded by stone walls, pastures, and farm buildings. Richard George was the first
owner in 1815, and the building continued to be the family homestead until 1943. Mendon's earliest
settlers had designated twenty acres of this land as "School Meadow" in 1668. The town's first
schoolhouse was built at the lower end of this property on George Street in 1709. Since the 1800's, the
George Cemetery has been located where the schoolhouse once stood. It was at 28 Main Street
where this distinguished family helped to make the town a better place to live.
Members of the George family were devoted public servants. Richard George, an attorney, served as
town counsel, selectman, and school committeeman. He was also on the building committee for the
Unitarian Church, and he served on a committee to establish a farm for the poor. His son Nathan, also
an attorney, was town moderator and justice of the peace. His grandson Nathan Richard served as
selectman and town treasurer. Another grandson Julius was selectman, town moderator, library
trustee, and president of the Mendon Historical Society. His granddaughter Rosa George Taft donated
a generous financial gift to the town to purchase the Union Evangelical Chapel and convert it into the
Taft Library. The original library, now the Historical Society Museum, was not large enough to contain
the increased volume of books by 1919. The family's dedication to serve the residents of Mendon was
The Georges were also successful in the business world. Nathan Richard George and brother Julius
operated a boot shop in the J.R. Wheelock Shop on Maple Street from 1863 - 1868. Nathan sold his
share to his brother who continued the business by himself until 1878. Fifty or more residents were
employed at the shop at a time.
In 1897, Nathan opened the Miscoe Spring Water Company. He sold spring water that originated at the
family's twenty-four acre Miscoe Hill pasture off Northbridge Road. It was advertised as being pure,
medicinal, and curative. It was very popular not only in Mendon, but throughout the Northeast.
Business was so lucrative that a Boston office was opened, and Nathan's son Herbert was the
Education played a major role in the lives of the George family. They were scholars. Richard and
Nathan graduated with law degrees from Brown University. Julius, Nathan R. Jr., and Herbert were
graduates of Harvard. Rosa and Nancy graduated from Wellesley College. Melissa was a professor at
Wellesley, and Nathan R. Jr. was a math professor at M.I.T. Nancy was superintendent of schools in
Mendon. The family's commitment to academics was remarkable.
Mendon's government, economy, and school system were influenced in a most beneficial way by
members of the George family. They served diligently on town boards and committees. Their boot and
Miscoe Spring Water companies prospered. Their greatest family attribute was their love of learning.
Education was their devotion. It is most appropriate that their final resting place is in School Meadow at
the site of the first schoolhouse. They are one of the most respected families in our town's history.
Twenty-eight Main Street is currently owned by the Vincent family.