The Eben Sumner and Nannie Bristow Draper home,
    90 Marlborough Street, Boston. The Drapers lived
    there during each "social season" from 1897 to 1905.

    Milford Upper Charles Trail – YouTube slide show by Theresa Mazzarelli   

    During the past two weeks, I’ve made additions to pages on Aerosmith     Richard Knight     Boarding
    houses     The Larches     Auto parade in Milford and Hopedale, 1904     Street and Place Names     

    On Washington’s Birthday in 1909 and 1910, Governor and Mrs. Draper held the customary reception
    to the public in the Hall of the Flags at the State House. Each year since 1891, with one exception, this
    function has been held by successive governors. It was Governor Draper’s honor to have received in
    1909 the largest number of persons who have ever attended this popular reception. His Excellency
    and Mrs. Draper personally greeted, on this occasion, 5,557 men, women, and children of the
    Commonwealth. In 1910, His Excellency greeted 4,671 persons who braved a snow storm to shake
    hands with their Chief Executive.

    In 1909 the Governor entertained at his beautiful home in Hopedale perhaps the largest party of men
    in the public service, Republicans and Democrats, ever gathered together at such a function. There
    were present practically all the members of the Great and General Court, the United States senators
    from Massachusetts, and the members of the lower branch of Congress, and a number of gentlemen
    prominent in the political life of the state. Digital Treasures   


                                                             Draper Homes in Boston

    By the 1890s, and continuing into the twentieth century, several of the Draper families of Hopedale
    had homes in Boston where they spent much of the year. Evidently they were there for the “social
    season,” and spent their summers in Hopedale. The men reversed the usual commuting route,
    leaving Boston and coming to Hopedale to work. There’s a good deal of material, including photos, on
    Boston homes such as the Drapers had at that time on the website. That site,
    which unfortunately has disappeared, was the source of the information below.

    Gov. Eben Sumner and Nannie Bristow Draper90 Marlborough Street – 1897 – 1905   90
    Marlborough Street was built ca. 1872 as the home of  Robert Charles Winthrop and his wife Cornelia
    Adelaide (Granger) Winthrop. He was President of the Massachusetts Historical Society, and a former
    Speaker of the US House of Representatives and a US Senator. By 1897, 90 Marlborough was the
    home of industrialist and future Massachusetts Governor Eben Sumner Draper and his wife, Nannie
    (Bristow) Draper.

    150 Beacon Street was designed by architect Alexander Wadsworth Longfellow, Jr. and built in 1904-
    1905 by Frank L. Whitcomb, builder, as the home of industrialist and Massachusetts Governor Eben
    Sumner Draper and his wife, Nannie (Bristow) Draper.  They previously had lived at 90 Marlborough
    Street. It replaced two houses built ca. 1860 and previously owned (as a single residence) by John
    Lowell Gardner, Jr., and his wife, Isabella (Stewart) Gardner.

    On October 5, 1909, less than five years after it was completed, 150 Beacon suffered a major fire
    which destroyed the entire interior, leaving only the walls intact.  After inspecting the damage, Draper
    commented that "there was not a thing left as large as a finger that I could take as a souvenir."  The
    house was rebuilt under the direction of the original architect and builder.

    In 1877, 299 Berkeley Street was the home of East India shipping merchant John Charles Phillips,
    Jr., and his wife, Anna (Tucker) Phillips. He died in March of 1885.  Anne Phillips continued to live at
    299 Berkeley until about 1910.  In that year, it was the winter home of Governor Eben Sumner Draper
    and his wife, Nannie (Bristow) Draper.  Their Boston home was at 150 Beacon Street but it appears
    (due to the fire) they were unable to live there during that season.

    Nannie Draper died in September of 1913 and Eben Draper died in April of 1914. By 1915, (150
    Beacon Street) was the home of the Drapers son-in-law and daughter, banker Thomas Brattle
    Gannett, Jr., and Dorothy (Draper) Gannett.*  Dorothy Gannett is shown as the owner on the 1917
    Bromley map. By 1922, it was the home of automobile dealer and Massachusetts Governor Alvan T.
    Fuller and his wife, Viola (Davenport) Fuller.

    George Albert and Jessie Preston Draper297 Commonwealth Avenue has
    very little on this address, other than a photo and that it as designed by Peabody and Stearns and
    built for James Draper in 1899. James wasn’t a Hopedale Draper. The wedding of George and
    Jessie’s daughter, Helen, was held there in 1917. She married (briefly) Walbridge Taft, a nephew of
    President William Howard Taft. The former president was a guest at the wedding.

    Charles and Frances (Draper) Colburn – (Frances was the sister of Governor Eben Sumner Draper,
    General William F. Draper, George Albert Draper and Hannah Draper Osgood.) – 228 Beacon Street -
    228 Beacon Street was built ca. 1864 for merchant and cotton broker George Phineas Upham, one of
    two contiguous houses (226-228 Beacon). By 1895, 228 Beacon was the home of boot and shoe
    manufacturer Charles Henry Colburn and his wife, Frances Eudora (Draper) Colburn.  They also
    maintained a home in Hopedale.  Charles Coburn died in July of 1896.  Frances Colburn continued to
    live at 228 Beacon until about 1899.   

    By 1901, it was the home of John Irving Taylor and his wife, Helen (Burnap) Taylor. At the time they
    lived at 228 Beacon, John Irving Taylor was affiliated with the Boston Globe, owned by his father.  
    Later, from 1903 to 1911, he owned the American League baseball team in Boston and is credited
    with choosing the name "Red Socks."  He built Fenway Park, which opened in April of 1912 (at which
    time the team's name changed to "Red Sox.” )

    Edward Louis and Hannah Thwing Osgood - By 1900, 221 Beacon Street was the home of Edward
    Louis Osgood and his wife, Hannah Thwing (Draper) Osgoo.  (Hannah was the daughter of George
    and Hannah Draper.) In 1899, they had lived at 377 Marlborough Street.  They also maintained a
    home in Hopedale.  Hannah T. Osgood is shown as the owner of 221 Beacon on the 1908, 1917, and
    1928 Bromley maps.

    Edward Osgood had been a publisher in his brother's firm, James R. Osgood & Co. and
    subsequently became a banker and a manufacturer in Hopedale.

    During the 1904-1905 winter season, the Osgoods were living elsewhere and 221 Beacon was the
    home of Nathaniel Hugh Cotton and his wife, Harriet Emma (Clapp) Cotton.  N. Hugh Cotton was a
    West Indies shipping merchant. By 1906, the Osgoods were living at 221 Beacon once again.
    Edward Osgood died in June of 1911.  Hannah Osgood continued to live at 221 Beacon until about
    1929 and also continued to maintain a second home in Hopedale.  Her unmarried daughter, Fanny
    Colburn Osgood, lived with her.  Fanny Osgood was a championship golfer and, in the 1920s,
    operated Le Syndicat Gowns at 230 Boylston Street.

    B. H. Bristow and Queena Draper138 Beacon Street - In 1922 and 1923 … it was the home of
    Benjamin Helm Bristow Draper, a manufacturer of cotton mill machinery, and his wife, Queena
    (Sanford) Draper.  They also maintained a home in Hopedale.  By 1924, the Drapers had moved.
    187 Beacon Street - By 1925, 187 Beacon was the home of Benjamin Helm Bristow Draper, a
    manufacturer of cotton mill machinery, and his wife, Queena (Sanford) Draper.  By 1927 they had
    moved to an apartment at 137 Marlborough Street (317 Dartmouth Street).

    To see the final resting place for most of these folks, take a look at Draper tombs at Hopedale Village

    *Dorothy Draper Gannett was the mother of John and Bill Gannett. Bill is the only member of the
    Draper family still living in Hopedale. The Gannett family   

                     Architecture in Hopedale                         Hopedale History Ezine Menu                       HOME   

Thanks to Peter Metzke for sending this.