May 1, 2014
Here's a page for those of you who were in Hopedale in the 1940s. Rachel Day became the librarian
at the Bancroft Library in 1943. Over the next few years she kept a notebook of various library related
activities that is still there in the library files. It includes lots of names, mainly children, from those days.
History of the Milford, Hopedale, Mendon District Nursing Association.
The Crooked and Narrow Streets of the Town of Boston, 1630 - 1822 by Annie Haven Thwing. Thanks
to my son, DJ for sending.
British Pathe - A large number of old newsreels and other films. Thanks to Dick Grady and Tony
Willoughby for sending the link.
During the past two weeks I've made additions to pages on The Ski Hill (a picture added) Bill and
Nancy Gannett (engagement article) Michael Connelly (Photo of Michael with five other Boy Scouts
and parents at an Eagle ceremony in 1970.) The undefeated Hopedale High basketball team of
1956-57 (another two pages of pictures) John Cembruch (More about the "Roosevelt prank" sent by
Bud Clement - added to the bottom of the page.) Recent deaths
Twenty-five years ago - May 1989 - President George H. W. Bush orders nearly 2,000 troops to
Mikhail Gorbachev elected Executive President in the Soviet Union.
Final episodes of Family Ties, Dynasty and Moonlighting aired.
Jean Stare of 8 Highland Street, a well-known figure in local golf circles, and his son-in-law, Michael
"Superfoot" Walker, equally well know from his days as a Patriots kicker, have returned from Scotland
and England, where Stare experienced the thrill of having his life's dream of playing golf on the "old"
course at St. Andrews in Scotland come true.
The clerk at the Cumberland Farms store was held at gunpoint and was robbed of $400 last night. An
18-year old Holliston man and his 17-year old female companion were arrested and charged with
Fifty years ago - May 1964 - First computer program written in BASIC is run.
First major demonstrations against the Vietnam War held in Times Square and San Francisco.
Smaller ones occur in Boston, Seattle and Madison.
President Donald McGrath presided over the meeting of the Hopedale Community Historical Society
at which Mrs. William H. Walker, daughter of the late Frank Dutcher, presented a paper on the
Slides of the Over Fifty Club's trip to Nassau in February will be shown at this month's meeting.
Milford Hospital Planned By Gov. Draper 50 Years Ago
By Nick J. Tosches
Just 50 years ago this coming Sunday the fervent desire of a Hopedale couple to aid the sick and
injured of this area came to a climax with the birth of plans for the construction of Milford Hospital.
On July 23, 1900, the realization of a dream by the late Gov. and Mrs. Eben S. Draper of Hopedale took
shape when the hospital became incorporated. Three years later they saw it rise as a symbol of
health to residents of Hopedale, Milford, and nearby communities.
It was no coincidence that the site of the hospital happened to be in Milford. There was plenty of room
in Hopedale to build such an institution, but Gov. Draper felt that by putting it on Milford land his act
would served to cement relations of the two communities.
Construction started with vigor, with the late Robert Allen Cook of Milford and the Dillon Brso., Milford
contractors, handling the work.
The first patient was treated at the hospital in September of 1903. Since then, the flow of patients has
risen each year, and now the hospital handles about 3500 patients annually.
The hospital building and adjoining nurses' home are insured for $540,000 but are undoubtedly worth
The hospital has 70 beds, 15 cribs, two operating rooms, an X-ray room, a laboratory, an accident
room, a maternity section, an infants' formula room and a diet kitchen.
The home for nurses was built at a cost of $120,000 in 1916 by the children of the founders, Mrs. Paul
M. Hamlen of Wayland (mother of Bill and John Gannett), Eben S. Draper, president of the hospital
corporation, and the late B.H. Bristow Draper. It is modern in all aspects and provides lodging for
student nurses and other staff nurses who board in.
About 22 years later, in 1938, a total of $125,000 was spent on another large construction job, which
created a separate maternity section, a dining hall, and additional space on the third floor.
Only several months ago $3000 was spent just to iron out the parking situation at the hospital. An
area across the street was paved for the use of visitors, which relieved the hospital grounds for the
sole use of hospital personnel and emergency cases.
There has been some talk of an underground tunnel connecting this new parking lot with the hospital,
similar to the one between the Draper Corporation plant and Main Office, but President Draper has
turned thumbs down on this proposal.
The latest improvement plan involves the front piazza at the entrance. President Draper says about
$30,000 will be spent soon to convert the piazza to an enclosed reception hall. The space between
this and the sun porch will be excavated to provide more basement space and additional room above
to increase the size of the superintendent's office and record room.
Although there has been much talk about enlarging the hospital, especially among doctors, President
Draper has spiked this idea several times. He says the purpose of the hospital is to serve the nearby
communities which it is doing "nicely" at present. He contends that there is plenty of space to
accommodate patients from this area and that residents of other towns are not encouraged to come
The closest Mr. Draper ever came to sanctioning the construction of annex was several years ago
when he began to investigate the possibility of getting Federal aid. But he refused this "charity" fearing
that the hospital would take on a "Federally controlled" atmosphere.
To keep alive its purpose to serve area residents well, Milford Hospital has become in need of outside
funds for many years.
Figured on paper, the amount charged for hospital rooms and other services in enough to carry on the
activities of the institution, but President Draper says that between 15 and 20 percent of the hospital
bills are never paid, causing an annual deficit.
Prominent among those who constantly aid the hospital is the Ladies Aid Society, composed of
women who devote much of their time to this cause. They sponsor a winter dance each year that nets
several thousand dollars.
Many other groups and individuals also donate money to the hospital, but by far, the return on
investment brings in much of the needed operating cash. In 1948, a total of $20, 218 was realized
from such investments.
In addition to providing excellent care for patients, the hospital is also listed as Class A by the
American College of Surgeons. Many girls in white have received their diplomas from this school. It
was started in 1906 and the first class was graduated two years later.
In addition to its capable staff of nurses, the hospital is noted for having an active staff of 30 young
doctors, who are alert and eager to keep up with the latest in medical science. The average age of the
doctors is between 40 and 45.
While the doctors take the top hand in the medical side of the institution, the business end is handled
nearly exclusively by President Draper, who has been chief in command of the hospital for 26 years.
As president of the corporation Mr. Draper is also president of the managing board and has the top
role in molding hospital policies.
The hospital personnel are under the direct control of Supt. Alice B. Coe, R.N., who has been with the
institution for 15 years. She came to Milford from the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary in Boston,
where she was assistant superintendent. She is a graduate of Massachusetts General Hospital
School of Nursing, and is a former superintendent of Haverhill Hospital.
With able leadership and constant financial support, Milford Hospital will have no trouble in continuing
to serve the residents of Milford, Hopedale, Mendon, Upton, Bellingham, Holliston, Hopkinton,
Medway, Millis, Medfield, Uxbridge, Franklin, Grafton and a dozen other outlying towns. Milford Daily
Eben Sumner Draper, Jr. Ezine Menu
The pictures above were taken April 2014.