The chapel/school of the Hopedale Community. This view, probably taken not long before it
was demolished in the 1950s shows it in its later use as two apartments. It faced Hopedale
Street, between Freedom and Chapel streets. The basement level, seen on the left, was
used as a store. The building was originally about half the size of what is shown above.
October 1, 2018
Origin of Hopedale Churches
Hopedale in September
from that area taken in the early 1950s, sent by Carol Barsanti Pelligrino.) John Bell (John, a U.S. Army
career soldier served in the wars in Korea and Vietnam. Added to the bottom of the page of his memories
are "passes" he collected, which had been distributed during both wars in an attempt to get servicemen on
the other side to surrender.) Deaths
Twenty-five years ago - October 1993 - Battle of Mogadishu: The U.S. Army conducts Operation Gothic
Serpent in the city of Mogadishu, Somalia, using Task Force Ranger. Two U.S. Army UH-60 Blackhawks are
shot down and the operation leaves over 1,000 Somalians dead and over 73 Americans WIA, 18 KIA, and 1
The Russian constitutional crisis culminates with Russian military and security forces clearing the White
House of Russia Parliament building by force, quashing a mass uprising against President Boris Yeltsin.
China performs a nuclear test, ending a worldwide de facto moratorium.
Fifty years ago - October 1968 - NASA launches Apollo 7, the first manned Apollo mission (Wally Schirra,
Donn Eisele, Walter Cunningham). Mission goals include the first live television broadcast from orbit and
testing the lunar module docking maneuver.
The Games of the XIX Olympiad are held in Mexico City, Mexico.
The United States Department of Defense announces that the United States Army and United States
Marines will send about 24,000 troops back to Vietnam for involuntary second tours.
African-American athletes Tommie Smith and John Carlos raise their fists in a black power salute after
winning, respectively, the gold and bronze medals in the Olympic men's 200 metres.
Former U.S. First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy marries Greek shipping tycoon Aristotle Onassis on the Greek
island of Skorpios.
Citing progress in the Paris peace talks, U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson announces to the nation that
he has ordered a complete cessation of "all air, naval, and artillery bombardment of North Vietnam"
effective November 1.
Milford Daily News and the Milford Gazette, copied from scrapbooks at the Bancroft Library, see below
this text box.
Origin of Hopedale Churches
Paper read at the Hopedale Historical Society in 1962
HOPEDALE - Plans of an outing of members in September were made at last night's meeting of the
Hopedale Community Historical Society.
Mrs. Annie K. Slaney, chairman of the committee named to secure information regarding a suitable site for
the affair, reported on the following places of historic interest: Fruitlands in Harvard, Concord, Plymouth,
and Wayside Inn in Sudbury. It was decided to go by bus to one of these places.
President Mortimer C. Dennett presided at the meeting.
Mrs. Margaret Woodhead gave a paper on "Origin of Churches in Hopedale."
The first religious service was held here in 1856 in the Old House where the Community was established
and was conducted by Rev. Adin Ballou. Later, the Practical Christian Church, of which he was head, held
services in the small chapel on Hopedale Street, now torn down. The building was situated near the corner
of Freedom Street and was later used as a dwelling house.
"The first religious service was held here in 1856..." It seems strange that Mrs. Woodhead would write that
this very religious group, headed by a minister, would settle in Hopedale in 1842 and not have its first
religious service until fourteen years later. Possibly a typo. The first service in the Old House may have
been early in the first year the Community settled there; probably in April 1842. By the next year they were
held in the mechanic shop. Rev. Ballou, writing about accomplishments in 1843 in History of the Hopedale
Community said, "The story above (in the mechanic shop, completed in the early spring of that year) was so
partitioned and fitted up as to afford tolerable accommodations in the southern part for the printing press
and its accessories, while the northern was made convenient and comfortable for school purposes and for
public worship; in which twofold capacity it met our needs, in a rude fashion to be sure, until we were in a
position to erect a building for that same purpose the following year." As soon as the chapel/school was built
the services were held there., which appears to have been in 1844.
In 1857, the Hopedale Parish was established, Rev. Ballou being the first minister. He continued in that
capacity until 1880.
The church (built in 1860) was situated where the present Unitarian Church now stands. The present
edifice of Gothic design was a gift to the parish by George A. and Eben S. Draper in memory of their
parents. Windows, among them being that of the Good Shepherd, were the gifts of George A. Draper, Mr.
and Mrs. Frank J. Dutcher and Mr. and Mrs. B.H. Bristow Draper. The 11 bells, which comprise the chimes
in the tower, were installed in 1904 and were the gift of members of the church and various other donors.
Mrs. Woodhead credited the late Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Walker with inaugurating the beginning of an
Evangelical Church here as they sponsored services which were held in the building on Mendon Street
near the Grafton & Upton Railroad crossing, which is still standing. Sunday school was also held there.
In 1896, those of the Evangelical faith met for services in the K of P (Knights of Pythias) Hall in the Harrison
Block. In 1897, the Union Chapel was built on Dutcher Street and Rev. Vincent Ravi was the first minister.
The church organized in 1897 with 46 members.
An addition was added in 1906, and other improvements, including the Lunt Chapel, named in honor of Mr.
and Mrs. George W. Lunt for their 50 years of service, was dedicated.
Mrs. Woodhead included a brief history of the establishment of the Sacred Heart parish in 1935, in the
building on Hopedale Street, once the high school. Monsr. John P. Donahue, now of North Adams, was the
The school building, when built, was a gift to the town by Eben S. Draper and George A. Draper, and an
addition was made about 10 years later. At present, plans for a new church are being formed. Milford Daily
News, May 22, 1962
than the paragraph above. "At the town meeting in March 1888, Gen. Wm. F. Draper, on behalf of the
Hopedale Machine Company, George Draper & Sons, and the Dutcher Temple Company, offered to give
the town a new building for the high school, to cost $6,000, the town to furnish the lot."
Community Bible Chapel Kingdom Hall - Jehovah's Witnesses
Ezine Menu HOME
The Practical Christian Church, built in 1860, which became
the Unitarian Church/Hopedale Parish in 1867. It was on the
site of the present Unitarian Church.
Sacred Heart as it appeared after it had been
converted from the high school to a church.
The present Unitarian Church, built in 1898.
The Union Evangelical Church with addition.
Hopedale News - October 1993
Hopedale News - October 1968
Hopedale News - October 1918
In October 1918, World War 1
(or the World War, or the Great
War as it was known then)
was nearing an end. Some of
the news here is connected to
Also, that was the month when
the historic flu epidemic
reached Hopedale. You can
see the result of it in some of
the news items here. More on
the flu epidemic in Hopedale.
Scout Keith Lewis of Troop 214, Holliston teaches a class on
first aid to Cub Pack 66 of Hopedale.