Ballot question No. 10 - Shall the Article of Amendment providing that Women shall be Eligible to
    Appointment as Notaries Public, submitted by the Constitutional Convention, be approved and ratified?    
    Yes 163     No 113     Blanks 135 - Hopedale Town Report, 1918

    The pupils of the Hopedale elementary schools were examined by the school physician, Dr. Weymouth,
    with the assistance of the school nurse, between the dates of September 29th and October 19th, 1925.

    Number of pupils enrolled..................................... ..............625
    Number of pupils examined.................................................473
    Number of pupils with defective (enlarged) tonsils..............162
    Number of pupils having adenoids.......................................126
    Number of pupils with hardened wax in ears................... .....52
    Number of pupils having symptoms of pediculosis...............20  

    The tonsils of some were badly diseased. The hardened was in ears becomes serious if not attended to.
    Conditions of pediculosis (lice) are reported improved as all have responded to treatment when requested
    by the nurse. Carroll H. Drown, Superintendent of Schools, 1925


                                       The South Hopedale Branch Library

    From time to time, when mention of the South Hopedale Branch Library has come up, I've been asked,
    "Where was that?" The answer is that it was in a number of places over the years, but always in a room of the
    home of a woman who had taken on the job of being the South Hopedale librarian. It would be open one
    afternoon each week, and would have books, circulated from time to time, from the Bancroft Library. Here's
    a report about it from 1922.

    Mrs. Smith has just finished twelve consecutive years of work in the Branch with the largest circulation in its
    existence, 4,040 volumes, and a total for the 12 years of 35,734 volumes. The Branch began in one of the
    lower rooms of Mrs. Smith's home in South Hopedale, the town furnishing a small bookcase 4 1/2 feet high
    by 27 inches wide and enough books and donated magazines to fill it, Mrs. Smith furnishing everything
    else, including her services as librarian, for no other remuneration than her love of books and a chance to
    satisfy it.

    With this deposit of rather less than 100 books and an exchange of from 15 to 20 from the main library each
    alternate week, 1925 volumes were circulated the first year. Before the end of the year, however, six
    magazine subscriptions were mailed directly to the Branch, and a very modest salary voted Mrs. Smith.
    Since that beginning, Mrs. Smith has doubled the size of the room, built in bookcases entirely around two
    sides for shelving the library books, installed a telephone, steam heat, and electricity.

    We have always appreciated the splendid results accomplished by our Branch Librarian, but perhaps a few
    items from a most interesting report, submitted by Mrs. Smith, summarizing the work of these twelve years
    may prove illuminating.

    Her family of several children has not escaped contagious disease or other illness but the circulation of
    books on Friday afternoon always goes on - even to the extent of 53 Fridays in 1920. When measles held
    sway, books brought directly from the main library in baskets were placed in the yard beside the road, and
    here - the weather man being kind - all exchanges were made until the house was fumigated.

    In the worst weather in winter, one of the sons sometimes delivers books on his sled. On one such trip a
    book inadvertently fell off - Jeffrey Farnol's Broad Highway, as it chanced - and was not missed until the boy
    reached home. Your capable Branch Librarian traced that book to Worcester and achieved its return, after
    two months absence, none the worse for its journey. Harriet Sornborger, Librarian, 1922

    Betty Butcher wrote a history of the Branch Library, which you can see using the link below. Here's the first
    paragraph of what she wrote, followed by the names of the women who took on the job as South Hopedale

    On March 6, 1903 the first branch library in South Hopedale opened at the home of Mrs. Annie E.
    Smith, wife of Arthur F. W. Smith. They resided at 267 South Main Street. After having the library for five
    months, Mrs. Smith moved from town and Miss Angeline Dewing, who resided on Hartford Avenue
    just off South Main Street, took it over until 1904. After a short period of time with Miss Dewing, the
    branch was temporarily closed. It reopened in 1910, back in the home of Mrs. Smith.

    The other women who had the library in their homes were Adeline Caldwell, Constance Jones, Betty
    Butcher and Bess Thayer. The end came in 1977.

    Click here to see the rest of Betty's article, and much more about the Branch Library.

                              South Hopedale Menu                    Bancroft Memorial Library            Library History   

                                                  Ezine Menu                      HOME   

    The home of Connie Jones at 2 Mellen Street; one of several houses
    where the South Hopedale Library was located over the years.

    What could The Broad Highway possibly have to do with this page?
    Read the article on the South Hopedale Branch Library to find out.