Above - Hopedale High School   

Below - Hopedale High School with addition.

Above - Patrick's Corner Store

Below - Ribbon-cutting at Stone Furniture - 1968

After the fire at Stone Furniture - 1979

    Town Hall, Harrison Block, George
    Draper mansion and trolley tracks.

A glimpse of the Henry Patrick house, 107 Hopedale Street.   

Hopedale Street, looking north. Harrison Block on left.

    The new high school on Adin Street opened in 1927. The old
    school became Sacred Heart Church , shown above, in 1935.

    HOPEDALE HOUSING - Construction is progressing on the new five-building project on Hopedale
    Street which will create 40 additional units of housing for senior citizens. The new project will be
    named in honor of the late town clerk, Mortimer C. Dennett and is located on property adjacent to the
    Griffin Apartments, another senior citizen housing facility. It is anticipated that the project will be ready
    for occupancy early in 1975. Some of the new units will feature ramps and wider doors than found in
    most housing units to make them more accessible to handicapped senior citizens, using wheelchairs
    or crutches. C. Richard Stevens of Grafton is the general contractor for the state funded project which is
    being administered by the Hopedale Housing Authority. Milford Daily News, September 19, 1974. (The
    Griffin Apartments were built in 1964.)


    The Day house, across from the library. It was the home of Charles and Lura
    (Bancroft) Day. In the Hopedale Community years, the home of Lura's uncle
    and aunt, Almon and Sarah (Darling) Thwing stood on the property. The
    Thwing house was moved to Union Street early in the twentieth century.

    This house was originally the home of the Humphreys, a very
    significant couple in the Hopedale Community. Later it was known
    as the Dr. Fish house. It was razed at some point long ago, probably
    in 1904 when the Statue of Hope was erected next to the library.

The home of Joseph and Sylvia Bancroft.

    Hopedale center a little before 1898. Click here if
    you'd like to see more on the buildings. Click here to
    go to a page with a few more views of this area.

    The hose house is on the left. The next structure was a
    Draper building known as the tin shop. Draper shops didn't
    always extend all the way down the street, and you can see
    some houses that were eventually razed or moved.

    Before 1911, the buildings in the center of this picture were the Draper main offices. Compared to the
    picture above this one, you can see that houses were removed and a second office had been built.

    The Draper Main Office built in 1910-11, now functions
    as the Atria - Draper Place assisted living facility.

    Looking over Hopedale Street from a Draper shop roof or window.
    Chapel Street can be seen in the middle, and the Chapel Street School
    faces Hopedale Street. The houses on the right foreground were moved
    to build the Draper Main Office there. Click here for more on this area.

Brick siding replaced wooden siding in the 1930s.

Intersection of Hopedale and Freedom streets.

    The chapel and school of the Hopedale Community. In later years it
    was divided into two apartments and had a store in the basement.


    The trolley bridge over Hopedale Pond as seen from Hopedale
    Street. Click here for more on trolleys in this area and the G&U
    Railroad. Click here for more on the bridges of Hopedale Pond.

Boat houses along the Hopedale Street side of Hopedale Pond. Photo taken during a field day.


    The crowd along the Hopedale Street side
    of the pond during an early field day.

                                            Hopedale Street

    The business listings and ads on this page are from Milford-Hopedale directories and
    the Milford Daily News, from 1869 through 1967. It's certainly not a complete list of all
    the business that operated along Hopedale Street during those years: just a few I was
    able to find.

    There are a couple of references to Main Street. In the Hopedale Community years,
    what became Hopedale Street was called Main Street. That had changed before the
    time anything on this page came into existence. While Hopedale was a section of
    Milford, and for some years after the separation, what is now called Mendon Street was
    then named Main Street, or more often seen as West Main Street.

                Dutcher Street               Now and Then Menu                         HOME   

    The roof of the early main office shows in the foreground of this picture.
    There were still houses on the west side of Hopedale Street at that
    time. The Water Cure house is in the middle, on the other side of
    Hopedale Street. It was at the corner of Hopedale and Union streets.

    This is to certify that a license to operate a Bowling Alley has
    been granted to A. Melvin Smith (of Milford) rear Harrison
    Block, Hopedale, Mass., by the Selectmen of said Town.
    Town Report, 1918

    The Legion home on Hopedale Street at the corner of Depot. The
    Gibson grocery store, several other businesses, and the post office
    were in there over the years. The Gibson ad is from 1869.