The Little Red Schoolhouse
Gannetts' tennis courts now stand. The construction date is unknown. At first the building served as a
pump house for the icehouse that once stood on that site.
In the early 1940s, after the razing of the icehouse, the pump house was moved across the pond to
Dutcher Street. It was then that it became known as "The Little Red Schoolhouse." Old Bill Taylor of
Milford moved it with a team of horses. It took approximately five hours to reach its present location.
Ethel Durgin set up a nursery school in the old pump house, and taught there. A fire bell was donated
by the fire department when the school opened. The bell came from a 1914 Hopedale ladder truck.
The school eventually closed and the building was converted into a workshop. The interior still contains
some blackboards and other reminders that for some years it had been a school. From a paper
written for the Hopedale Community Historical Society, which noted, "Information provided by
Herbert Durgin." Photos and articles on this page are from the Milford Daily News clippings at the
Bancroft Library in Hopedale.
Short Stories and Pictures Menu The Icehouse HOME
Thanks to Debbie (Grillo) Robbins for sending this Milford News clipping. . The year was probably
1947.. Here's what the caption says, for anyone who has trouble reading it above.
Hopedale, Dec 24.- Christmas exercises were held by pupils of the Little Red Schoolhouse Nursery
school in the Town Hall. Donald Keniston of Upton was Santa Claus and there were many guests
present and some of these young folks had their pictures taken with the pupils.
Front row: James Robert Wood of Milford, Paula Ann Tellier of Milford, David Calarese of Hopedale,
Carolyn Thompson of Upton, Dorothy Robbins of Mendon, Philip LaBastie of Mendon, Alice Wilson of
Hopedale, Arlene Kirsner of Milford, Richard Moore of Hopedale, Nancy Ann Newton of Upton, Sally
Newton of Upton, Nancy Dudley of Mendon, Evelyn Dautrich of Mendon, "Jackie" Evans of Milford.
Second row: Patricia Mosso of Upton, Bernadette Sooley of Hopedale, Celine Wood of Milford,
Daniel Nicholson of Milford, Dolores Comastra of Milford, Paul Biedrzycki of Mendon, James Lovejoy
of Hopedale, Kathryn Sails of Milford, Karen Caulfield of Hopedale, Margaret Wilson of Hopedale,
James Kennelly of Mendon.
Back row: Benjamin Barnes of Hopedale, Stanley Barker of Milford, Jesse Cox of Mendon, Karen
Jacques of Milford, John Melanson of Milford, Howard Sears of Milford, James Webber of Milford,
Chester Benoit of Upton, Carol Ann Hickmott of Mendon, Donald Washburn of Hopedale, Charles
Smith of Mendon, Barry Williams of Upton, Susan Clifford of Milford and Henry Bouchard, Jr., of
behind the former Durgin home at 120 Dutcher Street.
Thanks to Ron Kimball for the diploma.
razed, the pump house (below the windmill) was brought across the pond
and set up behind the Durgin home at 120 Dutcher Street where it became
The Little Red Schoolhouse.