





Hopedale History June 15, 2018 No. 350 Milford Hospital Hopedale in June
awards,
J. Harold Durgin is erecting a building on Dutcher Street, the second floor of which he will occupy as a dwelling. The first floor has been leased by the Ginter Co. of Boston. Milford Gazette, October 16, 1925 F. Carleton Miner, who has been engaged for the past two months as supervisor of swimming at the bathhouse, has concluded his duties. Mr.Miner will remain in town until after the swimming event on Labor Day when Johnny Stanas will defend his title as N.E. 2 1/2 mile champion. Mr. Miner will resume his duties at Ludlow where he is engaged as teacher of physical education and history as well as coach of athletics in the Ludlow High School. During their stay in town, Mr. and Mrs. Miner and their daughter, Barbara, have made many friends who hope to welcome them back next year. Milford Daily News, September 2, 1932 <><><><><><><><><><> Milford Hospital - A Brief History Milford Daily News, June 7, 1980 On a September day in 1903 Milford Hospital opened its door for the first time in a small two-story brick building. The staff was small but dedicated. There were six medical doctors and six surgeons, along with a consulting staff from the nearby towns of Hopkinton, Holliston, Medway, Bellingham, Franklin, Uxbridge and Upton, the areas to be served by a new hospital facility. The early history of Milford Hospital is tied to the Draper Corporation and its family. Their contributions have been on the greatest proportion. In 1905, Mrs. Eben Draper purchased and furnished a nurses home, and in 1914 a new home was donated by the Drapers' children, B.H. Bristow Draper, Eben Sumner Draper, Jr., and Dorothy Draper Gannett. Around the same time the hospital was given a $100,000 bequest in the will of Governor Draper. His family had built East and West wings for the facility in 1911 and 1919. The B.H. Bristow Drapers continued their support providing funds for remodeling and new equipment, and a new maternity ward. In 1956 the children's wing, which is the oldest building at present was built by Eben S. Draper, Jr., the son of the original donor. From 1905 through 1959 the hospital served as a training ground for nurses. In fact, a Milford Hospital Alumnae Association still exists today. Accreditation came early, in 1928, when the hospital was placed on the approved list of American College of Surgeons. In 1964 the hospital's biggest fund-raising and expansion project was completed with a six-story, 120 bed wing, complete with expanded health services in all medical areas. The 1964 building represented an investment of over $2,000,000, (about $16,000,000 in 2018 dollars) financed through a federal grant from the Hill-Burton Fund, use of invested funds, and a mortgage to cover the small amount of unpaid pledges from the $1,000,000 raised during a 1961 public fund drive. Over 4,000 individuals, clubs, organizations and business firms helped make that expansion a success. The new addition will not use public funds, although the cost is a bit higher than the 1964 building plan. The new wing added a 50 percent increase in bed capacity. In 1972, with another massive building program Milford Hospital prepared to become one of the most modern and efficiently run facilities in the state. Here how the new wing was described by Joseph M. Grillo in 1972." When someone mentions the 'new Milford Hospital' it's no exaggeration. Within the last decade the area's largest and most comprehensive health facility has experienced an unprecedented growth rate, allowing expansion in every facet of medicine." The new addition, a $2.7 million venture privately financed, will add 13 beds bringing the hospital's capacity to 140. But more significant is the fact that the oldest adult medical room is relatively new, constructed in 1964. In fact, Milford Hospital is a completely renovated facility. Its buildings and floor layout rank with the best in the country, and it has all happened in eight short years. The newest wing, which has been constructed on the north side of the 1964 addition, is a five-story brick structure housing a variety of medical areas designed to round out the hospital's three-phase expansion program. "The out-patient idea is the current trend in hospitals," said David Robinson, public relations director. "Last year our limited emergency rooms handled over 33,000 patients. The year before it was 27,000 and it's almost certain to jump again. The hospital has had the foresight to plan for the future," he said. The present emergency room will double in size along with the addition of four examining rooms for use by an expanded staff of doctors. Another important asset of the wing will be the tremendous amount of new laboratory space available. Included on the lower floors are new X-ray rooms, a complete physical therapy area, darkrooms, three new delivery rooms, and new emergency generators. Three ultra-modern operating rooms will give the doctors six OR areas to work in daily. The increased laboratory space will allow the hospital to participate in a co-op program with the New England clinical training center in Holliston. Unlike the earlier expansion in 1964, this wing will be financed with bonds. There will be no community pledges involved. As an added convenience, 50 parking spaces have been added at the rear of the building. Also included are an improved dietary department, private rooms, two new solariums, expanded pharmacy facilities, and new fire protection devices. 1980 expansion. Milford-Whitinsville Hospital has recently broken ground for a $13.7 million expansion program. Hospital officials hope to raise $1.5 million through public contributions for the project which will add 30 additional beds, including a 10-bed intensive care unit. The project will allow expansion of the x-ray department and emergency room and general expansion throughout the hospital, including additional elevators to speed access between departments. Officials expect the project to be completed by summer 1982. More on Milford Hospital And more And more Ezine Menu HOME . |
baby) would be equal to about $508 now. |