Adin Ballou Park - Hopedale, Massachusetts
Ballou Park, at the corner of Hopedale and Peace streets, was
originally the site of Ballou's home, seen in the picture at the top. In
1900 the house was moved to 64 Dutcher Street, where it remains,
across from the Town Park, and the Ballou Park was established .
Adin Ballou Ballou Home
Now and Then Menu HOME
Yankee magazine article on Hopedale - April 1982.
friends and admirers of the man upon whom our chief thoughts are fixed today spent an afternoon
with myself and wife at our home in Dorchester. During the interview, occupied mostly in
conversation upon questions of reform, with reminiscences relating to the progressive movements
of the past fifty years or more and the persons identified with them, among whom he stood
conspicuous, one of our guests, when reference was made to him, remarked that there ought to be
a monument erected as a testimonial to his exalted character and signal service of the truth and of
humanity, and as a means of transmitting his name and influence to posterity. Whereupon the
suggestion became for quite a while the theme of animated discussion, our English friends urging
with much zeal the inauguration of immediate practical measures for carrying it into effect. Mrs.
Heywood and myself, though naturally gratified at the proposition, were yet reluctant to become
sponsors for the contemplated movement or to be regarded as its originators or chief promoters.
But we were willing to cooperate with others in its behalf, and, if desired, to act as their agents in
seeing what could be done in the way of prosecuting it to a successful issue. So much was stated to
our visitors, and I personally promised to confer with persons in Hopedale and elsewhere who
might be presumed to have sufficient interest in the project to aid in its realization. Proceeding to do
this, the response was so favorable that upon further consultation with M. and Mrs. Tebb it was
determined to enter upon the undertaking at the earliest practicable date. Rev. William S. Heywood,
(son-in-law of Adin Ballou), at the dedication of Adin Ballou Memorial Park, October 27, 1900.
nearly empty now, a huge brick fortress that sprawls uncomfortably across the
heart of the downtown area with the statue of Adin Ballou erected by William Draper
poised majestically across the street. Two integral pieces of Hopedale’s unique
history face each other in quiet testimony to the busy, colorful eras past when the
likes of abolitionists Wendell Phillips and William Lloyd Garrison, and labor
leaders Carlo Tresca and Elizabeth Gurley Flynn passed through the town to touch
bases with the powerful forces of reform that found expression there. A handful of
residents of the area today, when asked what future they would wish for the
abandoned Draper complex, proposed such projects as affordable housing, a
community college campus, and a mall of small shops and businesses. Adin
Ballou might be pleased to learn that the wisps of his utopian spirit can still be
spotted on the streets of the resilient community he founded in faith nearly a
century and a half ago. Anita Cardillo Danker, From Christian Utopia to Comany