The Chapel-Hopedale-Freedom-Dutcher Block
by the Hopedale Community, to be used as both a school and a chapel. It
was on what is now Hopedale Street, between Freedom and Chapel. In
later years it was converted into a store (in the basement, facing Hopedale
Street) and two apartments.
The Community school/chapel, the Chapel Street School and two duplexes
on the block were razed in the 1950s. A little of the Dutcher Street School
can be seen at the left side of the Chapel Street School in the third picture.
The sepia pictures were labeled "Political Rally." There's no more
information on this rally, although some sources have mentioned that such
events would sometimes be held near the corner of Hopedale and Chapel
streets when the workers left the shop at lunchtime.
The bottom picture shows all that remains on the block - the former
Dutcher Street School, now the Uncommon Place condominiums.
Interesting facts on this 1910 Sanborn insurance map include that
the grammar school, later known as the Dutcher Street School, had
gas lights, while the sub-grammar school, or Chapel Street School,
didn't have any lights. A 1931 map shows that it still didn't have
lights. While the Draper Main Office is shown, it includes a note
indicating that it had not been completed by that time.
Draper shops at the lower right. There were no shops at that end of Hopedale Street at
that time so you can see a row of houses. This was ten years before the Dutcher Street
School was built. It was also well before the Draper Main Office and the fire station were
built, so that block looks much different than it does now. The Park House is on Freedom
Street at the corner of Dutcher. The Hopedale House is at the top, middle. To the right
of it is one of the three octagon houses that once stood in Hopedale.
The pictures above are evidently of a political rally that were sometimes held at the corner
of Hopedale and Chapel street when the Draper workers left the shop and office at noon.
The chapel, school and library of the Hopedale Community. After the Community days,
it was converted into two apartments, and a store was operated out of there also.
The Chapel Street School
Chapel Street School was in use through the 1954-55 school year, but
was closed when Memorial School opened for the 1955-56 school
year. Some of the houses William Whitney referred to in the 1964
article above can be seen in the birdseye view at the top of this page.
Note the second paragraph in the article on the left. It seems to
have been a common assumption that the buildings mentioned
had been heated by Draper Corporation from the time they were
built. From this you can see that didn't happen before 1938.
Thanks to Art Sanderson for the two photos of the demolition of his childhood home at
the corner of Hopedale and Freedom streets. Thanks to Debbie (Grillo) Robbins for the
"Centennial paper" with the picture of the Chapel Street School classroom.